January 24, 2015

Currently Reading

Hey, guys!

The last few days I have been alternating between reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, Food:A Love Story, and Darkest Before Dawn.  To tell you the truth, I'm not really enjoying any of them.

Their Eyes Were Watching God is a book that I'm reading in English class.  Its kind of interesting, but it only has so much potential, being titled what it is. (I don't think that don't-judge-a-book-based-on-its-cover counts for titles...)  It's about black Americans and especially black women during the Harlem Renaissance. While slightly boring, it isn't terrible; however, I find myself getting irrationally angry while reading it.  I suppose that means that the book is fulfilling its purpose, but it is not fun for me.

Next, I've been trying to read Food:A Love Story since October.  Whenever I pick it up to read, I immediately regret the decision.  I love Jim Gaffigan (the author)'s stand-up, but I don't think that he has the gift of writing, sadly.  However, my problem is less the writing style and more the lack of direction the book seems to be going on.  I figured, when deciding to read it, that it would be funny or a memoir or something like that.  It's more of a research paper on food.  I'm hoping that it will get better soon. (Full Review to come, eventually.)

Lastly, I've been slowly making my way through Darkest Before Dawn.  It's the sequel to Knightfall, which I reviewed earlier.  I'm finding it a bit slow and boring.  Most of the problem is that I don't care about the characters.  The main character from the last book, the only character that I do not actively hate, is barely in a single scene in this sequel.  He never narrates, and he's just become an ensemble member of the cast.  I'm more than half-way done, so maybe it will reach its climax soon.  (Full Review to come.)

I'll keep you guys posted, and will try to write at least a little post on all the books I read this year.
And, as always, Happy Reading to all of you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment