February 14, 2016

The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice:The Early Years #1) by John Flanagan 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  The Ranger's Apprentice series is one of my favorite series of all time.  (If you haven't read it, you should.  It has some of the best characters I've ever read.)  At this point in my life, I will admit that I've probably aged out, but even being much older than the intended audience, I loved it.  I can't deny that I love a good jousting/kidnapping/attempt to overthrow the king/sword fight.  You really can't go wrong.
While connected to the characters of the earlier series, The Tournament of Gorlan is completely a standalone.
This book, I was a little skeptical about reading.  John Flanagan has not stopped writing books in this universe! He wrote the original Ranger's Apprentice books, the Brotherband Chronicles, as well as this new offshoot.  I decided to pick it up, and I'm glad I did.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows a central jousting tournament that occurs at the climax of the book (and at the Tournament of Gorlan).  I like the colors of the cover, and it grabs your attention.  Grade A cover.

Official Description:
When Halt and Crowley discover that the ambitious Morgarath has been infiltrating the Rangers in order to corrupt the Corps, the young Rangers travel north to find Prince Duncan, seeking a royal warrant to stop Morgarath before it is too late. By weakening the Rangers, the most powerful force in support of the King, Morgarath plans to steal the throne. 
Yet when Halt and Crowley arrive in Gorlan, they discover just how close Morgarath’s scheme is to success. Morgarath has a plan to discredit the Prince and alienate him from his father. At the same time, the Baron of Gorlan has been conspiring to win the trust and admiration of the Council of Barons to further his plan. If the young Rangers are to prevent the coup from succeeding, they will have to tread a dangerous path, which leads them to a thrilling climax at the annual tournament at Gorlan, where a series of bitter duels must be fought and won.
This origin story brings readers to a time before Will was an apprentice, and lays the groundwork for the epic battles that will culminate with The Ruins of Gorlan and The Burning Bridge—Books 1 and 2 of the Ranger’s Apprentice series.


My Review:
I enjoyed this book.  It was full of medieval warfare and drama.  One of the best things about these series is the characters.  They are all so complex, unique, and just generally quirky.  By the end of the book, you are sure to love at least one of them.  
The plot was exciting.  Trickery and alliances were abound.  The plot was fast-paced, and I read it super quickly.  
I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone's who's read any of the other books by John Flanagan.  If you haven't yet, give his books a try.  They're all really good, and I often find myself referencing them in my everyday life.  Give them a shot.

Phrase:
A surprise dip in the river.

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment