November 5, 2011

Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan. (Awesome)

Hey, everybody! Sorry that I'm late posting this. I got a little caught up. So, since I haven't finished any of my library books yet, I decided that I would review the Ranger's Apprentice series. This is definitely more of a guy series, but girls will love it too (I know that from experiance). I honestly can't tell you how poplular it is, because I'm not 100% sure.  I know if it's not that it definitely should be.  There are ten books in the series: The Ruins of Gorlon, The Burning Bridge, The Icebound Land, The Battle for Skandia, The Sorcerer of the North, The Siege of Macindaw, Erak's Ransom, The Kings of Clonmel, Halt's Peril, and The Emperor of Nihon-Ja. And here's acouple of the covers:



Those are just a few of them and this is one of those series that have different covers, so don't be alarmed if you see a different kind. 
Anyway, back to the series.  I really liked it.  It had solid characters and perfect plot shifts and turning points.  It was beautifully written.  It kept you guessing about what would happen next and who would attack whom.  The character's relationships were really thought out and intracing. 
My only complaints about the entire ten book series (I would usually have a lot more considering how many books there were) was that the author decided to put books 5 and 6 in the close future and then the series carrys on until catching up with those books and then there was another book or two.  (I really hope that that made sense.) 
Most of the series goes pretty much that part one of the book is book one, the second part of that book is book two, the third book is the start of another adventure, the fourth is the second part of that adventure, etc. 
My second complaint, which is related to the first, is that at the very beginning of the book, the reader has no idea how much time has past since the book before it.  When I read the first chapter of acouple of the books, I was all like "Wow! When did that happen?".  It cleared itself up though really quickly, usually by the second chapter.
The basic premise of the series (this won't give anything away)  is that there is a boy named Will who is chosen to become a Ranger. He learns how to do Ranger like things, but the problem is that a war is brewing just like it did years and years ago. It's up to the Rangers and some of their friends to stop all the other forces before its too late. 
That was mostly the first two books' description, but I think that it is not really nessecary to spoil anything just because once you read the first book the rest will come quickly afterwward.  Most of the books are fast paced and the slow parts are nice and sweet or they're funny.  There are definetly parts that will make you laugh, think, or cry(if you are one of those people who cry when they read).  Actually...  I'm not sure if you would cry, it's not all that sad...
If, again, you don't believe me; go ask someone who has read this series and see what they think.  It's not just me.  It is really amazing.
I'll post again soon, I'm about halfway through Matched so I'll post when I'm done with it, if not before.
Until then, Happy Reading!

*UPDATE: Three years have passed since I posted this review.  I noticed the "rating" was "between good and awesome".  I have no idea what I was thinking! I replaced the rating with the correct one.  This is one of the best series I've ever read.  Since last posting, I have reread it.  Twice.  It is still just as hilarious.  The characters have all been amazing.  In fact, the protagonist from this series, Will, is my favorite character of all time.  I have no idea why I ever doubted the Ranger's Apprentice series.  I apologize for my past self's behavior!

No comments:

Post a Comment