November 11, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie (Awesome)

Hey!  Sorry it took me so long to post, especially since I finished this book on Tuesday...
This isn't one of my normal kinds of books, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
My best simplified description is Twilight meets Hunger Games meets The Giver.  
Here's the cover:


Okay, this is a really good book.  I heard an interview-like thing with the author and thought she sounded like she would write a good book.  I was right.  This is one of those weird books that I don't quite know why I like, but that I can't stop reading.  I just want to point out that this is definitively a girl's book, because it is mostly a love book.
My description is this:  A girl named Cassia lives in a Utopia setting run by the Society.  The world, run by the Society, is doing fine because of a system called Matching.  They sort people to find their best partner.  The Matchees see that person for the first time on a screen during a ceremony.  Cassia sees two people flash on her screen.  She starts to love them both.  All three of them are in the middle of a complicate love triangle.  You'll have to read it to find out what will happen next.
I would go farther in describing it, but I don't want to give anything else away.  The pace gets really quick by the middle though, trust me, there's even a mild action scene.  I will say reveal, however, that there are like two poems involved.  (That probably means more than you might suspect right now.)
To explain my earlier description: this is like Twilight and The Hunger Games in terms of the love triangle and like The Giver in the sense of the not perfect Utopia setting.
This is a really popular book and everyone I know who's reading it is completely immersed.  I thought that since I started it late, I wouldn't finish it for a while, but I finished it in like 3 days (despite the length).  This book is one of those you-can't-put-it-down-no-matter-what books. 
Again, I wanted to remind you that this is about as much of a guy book as Twilight is.  I would recommend this to almost anyone (again with this being a girly book).
Tell me what you thought about it.  I really hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. This is great Ashley. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete