April 15, 2016

Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy #1) by Anna Banks 3/5 stars

Hey, guys! I listened to the audiobook of Of Poseidon and finally finished it.  I was excited to be done with the book, only to discover it was the first in a series (The Syrena Legacy series).  It's safe to say that I will not be reading the rest of this series.  That's not to say it was all bad, but I wouldn't recommend reading it.

The Cover:
It shows a girl, who I would assume is Emma (the main character), but the character has light hair. So I assume it's Reyna? Either way, the cover doesn't really make sense.  C- cover

Official  Description:
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...
Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view(only Emma's is in first person), here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


My Review:
Basically, this book was about a merman who falls in love with a girl who may or may not be a mermaid.  I know, it sounds a bit stupid.  Believe it or not, the bad part of this book had no relation to the actual storyline, which was as good as could be expected for a mermaid book.

The problem was  that it just wasn't realistic.  I'll excuse all of the mermaid stuff, but the regular life parts were unrealistic.  I understand that this book was made for younger audiences, but if a senior in high school avoided cursing by saying, "Oh my sweet goodness!" all the time, they would be made fun of.  Harshly.  

All of the interactions with Emma's mom were incredibly awkward.  Awkward to the point that if I was the mom, there is no way I'd allow my daughter to hang out with Galen. 

Speaking of their relationship, there is a scene when Galen confronts Emma and a guy.  His actions honestly felt like an abusive relationship.  It was out of character, but still if I was guy Emma was with, I would feel obligated to have a serious chat with Emma.

That being said, the dialogue was witty and natural feeling.  The situations they found themselves in were not so organic.  Of Poseidon was a fan of creating conflict through unclear communication and... That was it.  As well as unnecessary scenes such as Reyna Drives a Car!

Obviously, I was not a fan.  It wasn't all bad, of course.  There were fun scenes and a bit of drama.  I might've just aged out of it.  I could see all the plot twists coming a mile away, but there were still plot twists! I finished the book, so it wasn't horrendous.  This is more of a middle school book.  

I would not recommend Of Poseidon. 

Phrase:
Oh my sweet goodness!

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment