April 22, 2016

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1) by Patrick Ness 5/5 stars

Hey, guys! I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Knife of Never Letting Go.  I'd seen it referenced before and thought I'd give it a shot.  It was fantastic!  I'm so glad I read it!

The Cover:

This is a really cool cover.  Before I go too far into it, let's talk about the title.  It fits this book perfectly.  Todd's hunting knife is a huge part of this book, plus the title's symbolic.  The edges of the cover has various jumbled phrases, resembling the Noise (more on that later).  It works really well for this book.  Obviously a lot of thought was put into it! A+ cover

Official Description:
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.
But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?


My Review:
I loved it.  It's definitely the best book-in-a-series that I've read in months.  Just wow.
That being said, look at the formatting before you read it.  Not often, but at certain points, Patrick Ness characterizes the Noise by having a jumble of unimportant phrases (like those of the edge of the cover) or different fonts.  If that worries you, check out the preview at Amazon before reading it.  It gives you a good feel for the style.  I thought it added to the book, but if that sort of thing bothers you...

I loved the characters.  They were not perfect in any way, but that's what made them neat.  The character development was the best thing about them though.  Todd completely changed as the book went on.  As much as I liked the protagonists, I will admit the villains were a bit undeveloped, though I think that's the whole point.

The plot was interesting and engaging.  There were plenty of mysteries to solve.  Some of them were predictable, others took me completely by surprise.  I didn't find myself becoming bored with the storyline at all.

The best part about this book was its writing style.  It was different and refreshing.  It was serious and funny and made me think.  The writing was really hooked me, and I could tell by only a few pages in that I'd love this book.

I'd recommend reading The Knife of Never Letting Go if you are up for something a bit weird but mostly great.

Audiobook Review (read by Nick Podehl):
Nick Podehl did a great job bringing life to this story.  The Knife of Never Letting Go works particularly well as an audiobook because of the style of the book, as well as the speech patterns (basically southern accent) of the narrator.  I really enjoyed it.  At the segments where I earlier mentioned the format, the audiobook talked over itself to give a really neat perspective of the Noise. Overall, one of my favorite audiobook interpretations.

Phrase:
Ow, Todd.

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Books by Neal Shusterman

Happy Reading!

Follow my reviews:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment