June 10, 2016

More Than This by Patrick Ness 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  After reading Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy, I wanted to read the rest of his books. This book is definitely different.  I loved about 99% of it with a passion, but the ending was too open ended for my tastes.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows an open door full of light.  It both references a particular scene that takes place around a prison and shows the general theme of the book, with a kind of parallelism to the afterlife.  The background could be interpreted as a circuit board or nothingness, both of which fit the book.  I love it!  A+ cover

Official Description:
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.
Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.
How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?
As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?


My Review:
This book is part suspense, part mystery, and part philosophy (kind of).  Most of More Than This is Seth (the protagonist) mentally debating where he is and experiencing flashbacks from his life.  Is he is hell? An apocalyptic world? Or did the world never exist at all?

It was thrilling, with a fast paced plot and frequent twists and breakthroughs.  

Seth was a likable characters who was flawed but was easy to route for.  He was stubborn, resourceful, and intelligent enough.  

The book had interesting undertones.  It questioned existence and how we experience life.  More Than This is a book that makes you think, and I've found myself continuing to think about it a few weeks after I finished it.

Just a warning.  If More Than This was a movie, it would be rated R.  There are a few scenes that are a bit adult and may make younger audiences uncomfortable, but certainly nothing massive.  It's definitely fine for mature teenagers, but reader discretion is advised.  
Also, there is mention of the main character being gay.  It's not a major part of the story, but it is frequently mentioned.  

The only problem that I had with More Than This was its ending.  I understand why the author wrote it as he did, but the ending was a bit too unresolved for my tastes.  I'm fine with open endings normally (at least the ones in the Neal Shusterman fashion of resolution but not complete resolution). However, More Than This's ending didn't resolve a pivotal question of the book.  It was ended this way purposely to continue the book's themes, model uncertainty, etc.  I see Patrick Ness's goal, but I would've preferred more resolution.  If open endings bother you, this book may frustrate you. However, the rest of the book is so spectacular that it makes up for it!

Overall, I would recommend this book.  It has complex ideas and doesn't shove them into your face. It's funny and sweet and gut-wrenching all at once.  It has suspense, danger, betrayal, and mystery.  It was a wild ride that is well written, as well.  

Phrase:
The Driver

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Books by Neal Shusterman
Chaos Walking Trilogy
Check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Follow my reviews:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment