October 5, 2012

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan (So Beyond Awesome)

I've been excited for this book to come out for about a week more than a year.  It didn't disappoint.  In fact, I think it's my favorite book by Rick Riordan so far.  If you haven't read any of the previous books in this series before, then you are in the wrong place.  Without further ado, the cover:

 
 
It shows Percy fighting Jason with the owl, the mark of Athena, in the background.  It's an amazing cover, even if it ended up not being what I expected it would be.
 
Description:  The Argo 2 sets sail for Rome with the seven demigods on it... and a slightly violent satyr as supervisor.  While they wind their way to Rome, a feud rises between the two camps.  Annabeth is charged with the important, yet impossible task of following the mark of Athena, which has the slightest chance of bringing peace to the camps.  With monsters, ballerina-wanna-be giants, and Diet Coke-drinking gods appearing everywhere, getting to Rome might be even harder than expected.
 
This was the most amazing story that I've read in at least two years.  It was suspenseful and sweet and sort of sad and amazing and so much more.  I actually laughed out loud way too many times to count.  This was the most hilarious, touching, and exciting of all of Rick Riordan's books so far.  It was SO amazing!
 
The next book, is The House of Hades.  The title's meaning you can guess once you finish reading it.
 
You may know how there was supposed to be a cliffhanger at the end and a part that Rick "got teary-eyed" writing.  I know now without a doubt what he was talking about.  It was so freaking sweet!  The whole second to last chapter has replayed in my mind so many times since I finished reading it.  About five minutes after I finished the book, I started crying because the ending was just so so so sweet.  You'll see what I mean.
 
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who lives.  Seriously, go read it.  Read the rest of the series first and then read it.
 
On a kinda-sorta related note, I saw Rick Riordan in Charlotte, NC yesterday.  That was super exciting and I listened to him talk about everything.  I made a couple of friends with the people around me and got to be in the third row, so that was awesome.  For the record, he didn't mean for The Mark of Athena to age in its maturity level.  And I officially love his "British" accent.
 
 But, I didn't have a chance to ask my question, so if you are going to one of the events and want to ask a question but don't have one, try to ask this.  "What monster did you feel the most evil about sending after the characters?"  I bet there's a good answer to this.  Write in the comments if you do and please tell me what he said.
 
Sorry that I've been so late, lately.  I'm going to try to post a lot to make up for all of the books on my to review list, soon.
 
PS I'd love to talk about Mark of Athena with basically anyone.  Please, please comment because I don't know anyone else who has finished and I really want to talk about it! 
 
Thanks for reading!


18 comments:

  1. Whew, just finished MoA.
    I was looking for others opinions on the "teary-eyed scene" and found your blog. (I knew which one it was for me, but was curious about other's opinions)

    I love to discuss books, so here are some of my standards:
    What were some of your favorite parts?
    What were some cons of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it was definitely the ending. So sad...

    My favorite part was probably the Echo scene, the ending, the part in the stable or when Annabeth and Percy reunited.

    Cons? He should have made the dream where Gaia said 'meet you in Tartarus' a little more clear and I wish they told us what Aphrodite told Reyna. But, I'm sure they will mention that later.

    Amazing story, really. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I really loved it. It was, by far, the best HoO book!

    For me, the pros were Percy, Percy, and more Percy! He was probably the first character I ever loved. I also really liked having Annabeth back. The “cliffhanger scene” was beyond amazing! Exactly what the series needed. It also showed me the maturity of Percy. I was like, wow, he’s not twelve anymore, he’s a man. I also liked Piper andJason. And Reyna's story isn't done yet...IMHO

    Cons- Character development and story length. These two go hand in hand because I think Riordan was trying to make sure everyone got equal screen time. Most of the adventures were unnecessary (Echo, Aphrodite, Hercules, even Sammy) and made the book reallllllly long compared to the original series. But the adventures were well written, so I’m not really complaining. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you with everything except the cons. I think the characters are all well developed. MoA helped a lot with most of the characters.

      The Echo thing lead to the fortune cookie, the Aphrodite thing will be developed more in a later book , Hercules lead to the Capricorn which was important, but I agree with the Sammy thing. I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks.

      Anyway, I would have been upset to have waited that long for a short book.

      Delete
  4. Well, the first 5 were a lot shorter and a lot more to the point. But I almost never like add on series as much as the original. :-)

    And, they could have gone straight to Nemesis and gotten the fortune cookie without Echo at all. But still, it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough, but I feel like the Echo defined Leo's character a bit more.

      Anyway, thanks for commenting once again :)

      Delete
  5. No problem. I love to discuss things with a fellow reader!

    I agree that it felt like I knew Leo a bit more after that part. I'll probably re-read the book in a few days. (I'm slogging through the Twilight series for the first time now *eyes rolling*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've already reread it.

      Personally, I didn't mind the twilight series, wasn't obsessed like everybody else and hated all the movies, but I didn't mind it.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, that's actually how I feel now. When I wrote the comment I was at the part where Bella is in "zombie" mode in New Moon. The whole series got 10 times better with the serious involvement of Jacob!

    1/3 of the way through Eclipse now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, been super busy!

    Over all, I really enjoyed the Twilight Saga. I thought the series hit a high with Eclipse and that Breaking Dawn was a little bit of a let down, but i still really, really liked them all.

    My one complaint (and I'm going to sound like a broken record) was character development. I wish we had gotten to know Emmett and Jasper more. I felt like I knew Mike Newton more than the two of them, and from what I could see of Emmett, he would have been a character I loved. But Edward and Jacob were fantastic. Some of the best male love interests I have come across in this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely could have developed their characters more. Personally, I half convinced myself that Edward was creepy after he was watching Bella as she slept, but as time went on, I got I've gotten over that.

      I'm probably the only person that liked Mike. He just seemed sweet. (This came up in New Moon when Edward was away and Jacob was hiding out. )

      Anyway, great books.

      My spell check just suggested that I should change books to nooks, and now I'm a bit disappointed with the world :-/

      Delete
  8. Oh dear. Our society is falling apart. Technology is taking over... :-(

    You know, I never found Edward watching Bella sleep creepy. I thought it was sweet, and kinda clever of the author. I mean, if I was him, had just found my soulmate, and didn't need to sleep, I might watch her too.

    Mike was okay. I thought he seemed real, like a regular teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I can see that being sweet now but still pretty creepy altogether. If I found out that some guy was stalking me and watching me as I slept by climbing through my window, I definitely wouldn't think it was okay... But that's just me.

      Delete
  9. Well, if it was just some guy, like a random one, I would be out of my mind. But if it was I guy I knew, I wouldn't be as worried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I read this book, up to page 352, I stopped after because I got bored. Do NOT get me wrong, I have NO problem with the book, it's the the way Rick wrote it, (love him by the way) in third person. I don't know why but third person gives me a headache. And then there was the scenes between the couples which I liked....

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I liked the books better when they were in first person. Now there just is never enough Percy!
      MoA was my favorite in the entire series so far though. Probably mainly because of those cute scenes between the couples like you mentioned.

      Delete