May 16, 2015

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee 5/5 stars

Hey, guys! So, I recently decided to read Angelfall by Susan Ee.  I had heard of the book before vaguely, and Netgalley was nice enough to give me a copy for my honest review.  And my honest opinion was that it was fantastic!

Without further ado, the cover:
The Cover:
It shows a pair of angel wings, which I assume are Raffe's, but the book placed a huge emphasis on how white they are and these seem more... golden.  I suppose that's picky.  A decent cover but not one that captures my attention.  B+

My Description:
After an unexpected attack of the human race by angels, the world is in chaos.  All Penryn cares about is keeping her family safe, until her sister is taken by the angels, her mother runs off, and she is left alone next to a bleeding angel.  She'll do anything to get her sister back and nothing will stand in her way.

My Review:
This book was spectacular.  I went in knowing only that this book had something to do with angels and was blown away at the quality of this book.  I knew in the first few pages that this was going to be a wild ride.  The writing style drew me in immediately, and it helped that the book started in the middle of the action, without long strings of exposition.  I was immediately swallowed into the story.  And what a story it was.  The plot line was quick moving and exciting.  I was caught unaware by several of its changes.  
The characters were spectacular.  Penryn might have just been granted my favorite heroine award.  She is just such a, pardon my language, badass.  She is a skilled fighter that does take anything.  However, she is still compassionate and fiercely loyal.  Loyal to the point where I would say that it's her fatal flaw.  As an added bonus, she doesn't have a love triangle to distract her from being awesome!  Raffe is also a really great character.  He is so conflicted in making his decisions, and he genuinely feels like a human being... or angel, I guess.   Susan Ee made these characters feels real and three-dimensional, which I can appreciate beyond words.
I did have a small problem with this book though.  I can't mentally pronounce ANY of these names.  Penryn? I apologize but whenever this main character's name was mentioned I read it as pasnlffj.  Same with Raffe (who I appreciate Susan Ee writing in a phonetic pronunciation for), but I could not read Raffe as raw-fee but instead as Ralph without the L.  Minor complaint, I know, but I wish that they had simpler names.

Overall, this is definitely a book that I would recommend.  The characters are amazing, as is the plot and the relationships between these characters.  I cannot wait to start the sequel, World After!

Phrase:
Wings attacked by scissors

Happy Reading!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookshelfSecret
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment