May 19, 2015

World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  I decided that I couldn't wait to read the second book in this series after reading book one.  Thank goodness it was already out!  In case you missed it, here's my review of book one, Angelfall.  Be warned, spoilers for book one may be in this review!

World After was just as amazing as Angelfall.  Both were really cool books, and I'm glad that I read them!

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Raffe's new wings, the demon ones against a white background.  Once again, I'm upset though because they are the wrong color! They mention so many times how brown they are.  Maybe its purposeful, I don't know.  World After is also a cool title, and it's referenced many times in the book, which makes it feel much less random to me.  B+ cover

Official Description:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

My Review:
I enjoyed this book fractionally less than Angelfall, but this may have been because my favorite character, Raffe was in very little of the book, and the book focused more on Penryn's relationship with her sister.  This was not necessarily a bad thing, but I enjoyed it a little less than I enjoyed the relationship between Raffe and Penryn in book one.  But don't worry, there's still plenty of that as well!
The characters remained really interesting to read about.  They were complex, had character development, and had realistic relationships with one another.  Penryn has yet to get on my nerves, which is quite an accomplishment for main character heroines in Young Adult literature.  She's still really cool, tough, and just awesome.
The plot was really exciting.  From prison to luxury to the middle of the ocean, the plot was everywhere.  The storyline moved quickly and smoothly, enticing me to read the book in less than 24 hours.  (It was really good.)  It was exciting
I loved the development of the angel sword.  It became an integral part of World After and offered Raffe's perspective, which was nice.  There were so many awesome moments in this book that I can't hope to tell them all to you, but trust me, it was amazing!
I'd highly recommend this book, but you have to read Angelfall first.  

Quotes:
"'She's a born rebel.  She'll puke just to make a point'"
"I hold my sword like a light saber.  It's about the only sword knowledge I have"

Phrase:
Pooky bear

Happy Reading!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookshelfSecret
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment