June 23, 2015

The Selection by Kiera Cass 4.5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  So I had heard incredible things about The Selection and figured that I should give it a shot.  I was honestly disappointed with the predictability of the first half, but I ended up enjoying the second half a lot, which I think evens out to 4/5 stars?

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows America (the protagonist's name) dressing up for The Selection as well as a bunch of the other candidates.  It isn't a bad cover, but it isn't very interesting either.  A-

Official Description:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Review:
I am really conflicted about whether or not I would recommend this book.  Be warned that it is very predictable and similar to a lot of the other Young Adult books.  I hate it when people compare books to the Hunger Games (because they are often not at all similar), but this book was basically Hunger Games meets Ella Enchanted.  
On the other hand, the characters were phenomenal.  America is actually a likable female protagonist! I know, shocking!  She is independent, realistic, and entertaining.  America's character was one of the best things about this book.  The other characters were also amazing.  The characters are definitely the heart and soul of this novel.
One of the main parts of its plot has to do with America and Maxon's relationship, which was amazing.  It seemed feasible to me.  I was surprised that I actually bought their relationship as it did not seem as Stockholm syndrome-y than some relationships in these types of books.  
My only problem with this book was how similar it felt to other books that I had read in the past (until halfway anyway).  It made me really disappointed in the book.  However, once I started enjoying the characters, I really loved this book.
So, would I suggest it?  Definitely if you are not tired out of the YA Dystopian type of book.  However, if you feel like you've been reading the same thing over and over again, maybe pick another.

Phrase:
Food and pants

Happy Reading!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookshelfSecret
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment