June 3, 2015

The Chimera Vector by Nathan M. Farrugia 4.5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  So, I recently finished reading The Chimera Vector by Nathan A Farrugia, and I really enjoyed it.  Click here for my earlier thoughts on the book.  This was a really intense book full to the brim with action and adventure.  I'd definitely recommend it if you like exciting books!

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Sophia, Jay, and Damien preparing for a mission.  The artwork is neat, but not my favorite.  solid A cover though.

Official Description:
The Fifth Column: the world’s most powerful and secretive organization. They run our militaries. They run our governments. They run our terrorist cells.
Recruited as a child, Sophia is a deniable operative for the Fifth Column. Like all operatives, Sophia’s DNA has been altered to augment her senses and her mind is splintered into programmed subsets.
On a routine mission in Iran something goes catastrophically wrong. Bugs are beginning to appear in Sophia’s programming and the mission spins out of control.
High-speed chases, gun fights, helicopter battles, immortal psychopaths, super soldiers and mutant abilities are all in the mix in this edge-of-your-seat action-packed techno-thriller.


My Review:
This book was both a psychological thriller and an action book.  I was fascinated by the mind control and brainwashing that was present throughout the entire book.  It was so intricate and well-developed.  The mind control seemed possible, which I found impressive.  There was also nonstop action.  Alliances were made and broken, and all the while explosions and gunfire were going off.  It definitely never got boring!
I really loved some of the characters.  Sophia, Damien, and Jay were all amazing characters with their own personalities.  They were really complex and interesting characters.  Among the three of them, there was also a decent bit of character development.
However, some of the smaller roles were defined as simply being evil, etc.  I get why it was written that way, but they were not quite as realistic as the more developed characters.  This didn't affect my level of enjoyment with this book, but I thought I'd mention it.
My biggest problem with this book was its use of military jargon.  There was a little too much military talk for my tastes, and it ended up confusing me more than anything else.  Don't get me wrong, you'll understand what's going on.  The terms seemed to clutter the book a little more than necessary.  To be fair, it did add a layer of authenticity to the novel as these assassins would know more military terminology than the average reader.
This authenticity was a really cool part of the novel.  I felt as if the maneuvers and everything else in this book was plausible, which I'll admit that I frequently doubt in books.  It was fairly impressive, in fact.

I'd definitely recommend this book if you like fast-paced action books.  It was really interesting and well done.  I'm looking forward to reading book two.  However, be warned that this is a book for more mature readers as there is some language and gore.  

Phrase:
Party packs of Flashbangs

Happy Reading!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookshelfSecret
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment