July 29, 2016

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  I've been seeing a lot about Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I don't even think I read the description first, the first sentence ("It's a weirdly subtle conversation.  I almost don't notice I'm being blackmailed.") got me hooked, and I loved it.

The Cover:
The Cover:
The title is simple, Simon's invisible body with a speech bubble.  I like it.  The title itself is a play on "the homosexual agenda" which ends up being pretty clever and relevant to the book.  A+ cover.

Official Description:
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.
With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.


My Review:
This is one of my favorite teen romance novels.  It's cute and actually funny with all of the action-packed drama that you can possibly hope for.

The characters are fantastic.  They are multidimentional and the relationships between the characters are super realistic and complex.  However, there were not a lot of characters, so the mystery of how Blue really was seemed a bit predictable to me (though I was thrown off by the end!).

Even though it was a romance book, the plot was fast-paced and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I read the whole book in a day (and wished I still had more to go).

I'd definitely recommend Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda for anyone in the mood for drama, romance, or humor.

Phrase:
The Tumblr

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Anna and the French Kiss
Every Day
Winger
The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment