July 1, 2016

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen 3.5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  Back in October at Yall Fest, I was handed a few free books.  One was Isla & the Happily Ever After and another was This Lullaby.  I had heard of Sarah Dessen and wanted to give her a try, plus I was in a romance mood this weekend.  It wasn't perfect but was still enjoyable and easy-to-read.

The Covers:

The Cover:
The first is the more popular cover and the second is from the edition I read.  I like the second one better.  It shows a guitar with a heart-shaped pick.  I think that sums up This Lullaby pretty well : music and romance.  A grade A cover


Official Description:
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?

My Review:
I enjoyed reading This Lullaby.  It was an easy read that I powered through in just a day.  

The characters were strong.  They were distinguishable from one another and pretty easy to like. They all had backstories (some less developed than others) that added to their characters.  They were all flawed, even the love interest was not the stereotypical "perfect guy" of teen romances.

The biggest problem I had is a major pet peeve of mine.  A major theme of teen romances is to prove the female protagonist is smart by saying she went to an Ivy League school while not proving it any other way.  The girl will not act intelligent except for when mentioning how in the fall she is going to Stanford in this case.  I cannot stand it.  Frankly, there is no way that Remy could've possibly gotten in to a school of that caliber.  It seems like a cheap way to get out of proving a character is intelligent. If she's going to Stanford, she must be smart, no need to prove it.  I just hate it.  It's a small detail, but everytime it was mentioned (frequently), I was ejected from the story.  It wasn't believable.

I was also not satisfied with the ending.  It wrapped everything up but it was as if the main storyline was left to the side as This Lullaby wrapped up the subplots that were inconsequential.  I would've liked more "screen time" for the main plot around the end.  Within the last five pages it was covered but not at all in the thirty leading up to it.  It left me unsatisfied.

Overall, I had a few issues with This Lullaby but it was still cute and well-written.  I did read it in a day and enjoyed it.  I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, but it's a nice summer romance, especially if you like the idea of a band.  Not outstanding but still good.

Phrase:
Extra Large Zip Diet

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Anna & the French Kiss
Eleanor & Park
Isla and the Happily Ever After
An Abundance of Katherines

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment