July 8, 2016

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (idea by Siobhan Dowd) 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  I just read a book that reminded me why I love reading.  I was beautiful and dark in a way that no other media can properly convey.  Before I even get into the review, I'll let you know that you should read it, no matter how skeptical you are.

I read Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking series and More Than This but I think A Monster Calls outshines those other, outstanding books.  I decided to read A Monster Calls simply because I liked Ness's other books and had high hopes.  I wasn't disappointed.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows the monster in front of Conor's house, looming.  It doesn't show much but it captures the spirit and content of the book.  A+ cover

Official Description:
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.
But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…
This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.
It wants the truth.


My Review:
A Monster Calls is a story of a thirteen year old boy whose mother is dying of cancer.  One night a monster made from the old yew tree outside his house begins to tell Conor stories, with the promise that Conor will tell one of his own at the end.  It's a story about grief, guilt, and change.  It breaks your heart but does so in a way that doesn't leave you sad but hopeful.

A Monster Calls was in a word: beautiful.  The very sentences were artfully composed.  Patrick Ness has completely conquered the old adage "show don't tell."  With a few words, you know exactly what is going on without ever being informed.  It made the story feel more significant as you come up with the ideas yourself without having them shoved down your throat. 

Within a few short paragraphs, I understood Conor perfectly.  He was a character you couldn't help but stand behind.  All of the characters, in fact, were deeply, deeply flawed, but still lovable.  From the dad who abandoned his family to the uptight grandma, the characters felt like real people going through a tough situation.

Once every twenty pages or so, there is a beautiful illustration (in the style of the cover).  It added to the book.  Don't be fooled into thinking the illustrations make it on par with The Magic Treehouse.  It is intended for older audiences.  I would say middle school and up.  Adults could easily appreciate A Monster Calls so do not be discouraged.

A Monster Calls can be looked at on two levels: the monster is/is not real.  It doesn't matter if you think of it as a fairytale or as a beautiful metaphor, the story remains incredible.

I would recommend A Monster Calls to everyone, especially the people who appreciate good writing. It was just amazing.  I feel like I am still within the story.  Definitely worth reading!

Phrase:
Sometimes there is no villain.

More Than This

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment