November 13, 2011

The Schwa was Here by Neal Shusterman (Really Great)

Hey everyone!  Sorry that I keep changing my rating scale.  I just have so many books that fall between levels.  I read The Schwa was Here a couple days ago.  Here's the cover:

I read it because the author is really, really good.  (I will have a lot more reviews from him.)  And I wasn't disappointed.  
This book is about a boy who is "functionally invisible" (that means not noticed) named Calvin Schwa, whom everyone calls The Schwa.  It is told from his friend, Antsy's, point of view.  They conduct experiments to see how far The Schwa can go unnoticed.  When they get caught, they have to work for some crazy old man.  But then this girl comes into play...  
It is a wonderfully told book with twists and turns and a lot of comic relief.  I would really recommend reading it.  It has one of the best endings that I have ever read.  It's one of those endings which leaves you thinking about it constantly and thinking " Omg!  That was SO good!"  At least, it did for me.
My one bit of confusion in the entire book was in the beginning, like the first page.  I thought that "dummy" meant "idiot" instead of  "puppet".  That was completely my fault, but I thought I would clear it up in case you get confused.  When you read it, imagine that it was "idiot" and you'll realize why I was sort of shocked.
Anyway, if you're not sure of if you want to read it, read the first page or two.  I am 99% sure that you will love it.
I think there is a second book: Antsy Does Time.  It may not be directly related, so I'll let you know once I read it.  In the meantime, I hope you read The Schwa was Here.  Let me know if you have any book you want me to read/ review.    

No comments:

Post a Comment