September 9, 2016

Firestarter by Stephen King 3/5 stars

Hey, guys! I finally finished Firestarter! I feel like I've been working on this book for months; it just didn't catch my interest.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Charlie's face behind a veil of fire. There are many editions of Firestarter but this is one of my favorite covers. B+ cover.

Official Description:
First, a man and a woman are subjects of a top-secret government experiment designed to produce extraordinary psychic powers.
Then, they are married and have a child. A daughter.
Early on the daughter shows signs of a wild and horrifying force growing within her. Desperately, her parents try to train her to keep that force in check, to "act normal."
Now the government wants its brainchild back - for its own insane ends.


My Review:
Firestarter was a bit boring. Despite the title, there were four fires in the entire book. Four. It had great promise of excitement, but it fell short and dragged on.

The writing was also disorienting as it jumped between the present and the past without any notice. You could easily be halfway through a scene before realizing it happened twenty years ago and then having to reread the already boring scene again.

The characters were largely unremarkable. Charlie and her father, Andy, were okay characters, definitely not something I will remember anything about within a few months.

Also, little research went into the science behind Firestarter. I'm not a biologist or anything, but I took the generic Biology class that everyone has to take, except Stephen King apparently. Small inaccuracies throughout the book completely threw me out of the story. (For example, using water as a control injection instead of saline, which could possibly kill someone.)

That being said, the action scenes were intense and exciting.  However, these scenes were few and far between.

Overall, I would not recommend reading Firestarter simply because it was boring. Stephen King's books are always hit or miss, and, for me, Firestarter was a definite miss.

Phrase:
Necromancer

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Carrie

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment