March 10, 2017

The River (Hatchet #2) by Gary Paulsen 3.5/5 stars

Hey, guys! In fifth grade, I read Hatchet (a good survival book, that I'd recommend) and loved it. Last week, I saw that there was a sequel, which didn't make much sense to me because of Hatchet's ending. Based entirely on curiousity, I decided to read it as it is only 130 pages.

The Cover(s):
The Cover(s):
Both covers show Brian with Derek and the river that Brian must journey down in order to get help when disaster strikes.

Official Description:
"We want you to do it again."These words, spoken to Brian Robeson, will change his life. Two years earlier, Brian was stranded alone in the wilderness for fifty-four days with nothing but a small hatchet. Yet he survived. Now the government wants him to do it again to go back into the wilderness so that astronauts and the military can learn the survival techniques that kept Brian alive.

(The full description has a major spoiler in it, which I found ruined a bit of the story for me. If you want to read the whole description click here)

My Review:
In order to really enjoy this book, you have to dispense your belief at the situations that lead to the book even existing. The origin is a bit ridiculous, but the actual story is interesting. 

Brian's quest for survival is still interesting to read and isn't completely repetitive of Hatchet. That being said, I did enjoy Hatchet more. The River is interesting to read though, filled with suspense. 

Overall, I would recommend reading The River if you read Hatchet and enjoyed it. I think that this series is especially great for young (7-12 year old) boys to get them interested in reading. 

Phrase:
A secret map

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Ender's Game

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment