May 5, 2017

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J Maas 3.5/5 stars

Hey, guys! Earlier this year, I read both Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, the previous books in this series. I enjoyed both but was warned that people rather loved or hated book 3, so I was a bit skeptical starting Heir of Fire. After reading it, I can definitely understand where both sides are coming from.

The Cover:
The Cover:
I hate the covers of this series. They don't really relate to the story at all (I don't remember any mention to a bow and arrow) and Celaena is blue... for some reason. I would rather have a completely black cover than something like this. D- cover.

Official Description:
Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

My Review:
Overall, I enjoyed Heir of Fire slightly less than prior books in the series. However, there were many highs and many lows that end up balancing out. This book definitely had more elements that I hated than the earlier books, but some things, like the development of the characters were much more engaging in this book. 

For example, in this book a group of witches are introduced. About a third to a fourth of the book was taken up by this storyline of the politics of this group of witches who are preparing to go to war. This might have been interesting by itself, but it didn't fit in this book. The witches's story never intersected the rest of the story. It stood alone and could have been cut out, making the whole story move faster. I felt like they were developing a plot point which could be interesting but never occurred. 

Making the book faster would have been especially nice because the middle section of this book dragged. The main characters were all split up, experiencing different plot lines, so the book jumped from one person to the next in a way that made it difficult to get invested in any one storyline. And even if you were interested, by the time that storyline was in focus again, you have lost interest. 

However, the ending of this book was very exciting. So exciting, in fact, that I think it makes up for the boring middle. However, if you give up before you get there, it can't help!

Something that bothers me about this book in particular is the main character's name. She has at least three separate names that are used interchangeably. Sometimes she's Celeana, sometimes Eilean, and that's not even to mention the fake names she gives out constantly. It gets hard to follow.

All of that being said, the plot was interesting, especially nearer to the end. The characters were still well-formed. This book even has new characters, Rowan and Aedion, who are interesting to read about. Will I read the next book? Most likely. The cliffhanger ending had me hooked, but I might only skim over some parts.

Overall, I'd recommend this book if you like the characters and are willing to power through the middle.

Phrase:
Rings

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment