April 4, 2015

Currently Reading: French Philosophy and Phobias

Hey, guys! Sorry I'm off on posting.  I haven't been able to finish any new books because life's been hectic.  I'm currently reading two different books.  One is a book that I'm reading in french class, Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince), and the other is If I Fall, I Die which is actually a pretty cool book. I'll post a full review of both later, so this is just a mid-reading update.

The Little Prince (you can also find this in English) by Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

I despise this book.  Apparently, it is the second most popular book in France, second only to the Bible. This makes me think that France (no offense, guys) rather has few readers or few books.  I just do not understand its appeal.  I am a third of the way through the book and all that has happened is that the narrator has complained about how terrible and unimaginative adults were, when he, himself, is an adult.  It is almost as if it is told in alternating chapters.  The odd chapters he complains about adults.  The even chapters he tells a story about meeting a kid (a little prince) in the desert who is from a different planet.
Did that last sentence spark your interest?  Yes?  It shouldn't.  Basically all of their encounters involve the kid asking the narrator about sheep.  Yes.  Sheep.  Rather drawing sheep or asking if sheep eat flowers, this little prince seems to love them.
I just find myself becoming upset with how poorly done this book is.  Maybe something is lost in my translation from French to English, but everyone else in my class seems to also hate it.
It might get better.  I'll let you know when we finish!

If I Fall, I Die by Michael Christie:

This book is the one that I am choosing to read.  I've only read a few chapters but I am really enjoying it.  The premise is that this teenage boy, Will, has never gone outside his house because his mom has a paralyzing fear of the outside.  He grew out thinking that the outside (and to some degree, the inside) was impossibly dangerous.  Until, one day, he goes outside and nothing happens. He is not immediately killed and all still seems fine.  This sparks a desire to keep going outside, but his mom is a total wreck about the whole situation.... (This is as far as I've gotten.)
The way that it's told is really interesting.  The writing style is fantastic, and even though the story has not really begun, I am hooked.
For the record, I've only just begun this book, but I am sure that it's going to be fantastic and would already recommend it.  Full review to come!

Happy Reading!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookshelfSecret
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment