April 20, 2015

Phantom (The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters #1) by "LJ Smith" 4/5 stars

Hey, guys!  So I just finished Phantom, the first book in the fourth Vampire Diaries spin-off that I'm still reading for some reason...  If you missed my first few reviews here they are.  Come back once you've caught up!

Original Vampire Diaries Series Review

Nightfall (The Return #1)

Shadow Souls (The Return #2)

Midnight (The Return #3)

Origins (Stefan's Diaries #1)

Bloodlust and The Craving (Stefan's Diaries 2-3)

The Ripper, The Asylum, and The Compelled (Stefan's Diaries 4-6)

Wow, that's a lot of books.  While I don't think these book deserve any more sequels, they keep coming, and, I guess, I keep reading them.

Phantom, and all of the other Vampire Diaries books, aren't really good nor bad.  They are simply decent, quick reads.  I would not go so far as to recommend them, but if you want to, I will not stop you, like I haven't yet stopped myself.

The Cover:

The Cover:
I did not expect much from this cover and didn't receive much.  It just shows half of a girls face (I'm not even sure which girl's!), as is with the tend for books aimed at teenage girls in this day and age.  Not a fan.

Official Description:
The past is never far. . . .
Elena Gilbert and her friends saved Fell’s Church from evil spirits bent on destroying it, but the town’s freedom came at a price: Damon Salvatore’s life.
Damon’s death changes everything. He and his vampire brother, Stefan, had been locked in a vicious battle for Elena’s heart. Now that he’s gone, Elena and Stefan can finally be together. So why can’t Elena stop dreaming of Damon?
As Elena’s feelings for Damon grow, a new darkness is brewing in Fell’s Church. Elena has been to hell and back, but this demon is like nothing she’s ever seen. Its only goal is to kill Elena and everyone she loves.

My Review:
It was much better than the Return series was. Whether this was because of the situation or the author-change, I don't know.  In case you didn't know, this book and all of the other Vampire Diaries related books from this point forwards are written by ghost-writers, AKA not LJ Smith.  She apparently got fired from writing her own books.  While I am outraged about this in principle, I'm ashamed to say that it was the right move for the series.  It was so much better than the train-wreck that was The Return.
Really, nothing has really changed character-wise.  Elena is irritating, everyone is jealous of each other, and love triangles and fights ensue.  This particular book had an interesting villain, though.  I'm not saying what it was because there is some mystery involved, but I think you guys will like it.

That's all for now.  With summer coming up though, do you guys have any recommendations for books to read?  Comment below with your favorites, and I'll try to read a bunch of them!

Phrase:
An unexpected graduation

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment