December 30, 2016

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison 3.5/5 stars

Hey, guys! Song of Solomon was a book that I had to read in my English class this year. I didn't hate it but definitely disliked certain elements.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It only shows the title and author. It's really not an eye-catching or flashy cover but neither is this book so at least it's fitting. C cover.

Official Description:
Milkman Dead was born shortly after a neighborhood eccentric hurled himself off a rooftop in a vain attempt at flight. For the rest of his life he, too, will be trying to fly. With this brilliantly imagined novel, Toni Morrison transfigures the coming-of-age story as audaciously as Saul Bellow or Gabriel García Márquez. As she follows Milkman from his rustbelt city to the place of his family’s origins, Morrison introduces an entire cast of strivers and seeresses, liars and assassins, the inhabitants of a fully realized black world. 

My Review:
This book was mostly unremarkable. It's a coming-of-age tale of Milkman as he grows into an unhappy man and tries to find himself. It's a coming-of-age story less in the Perks of Being a Wallflower and more of a Their Eyes Are Watching God variety

The plot was mostly non-existent until the last fifty pages or so, when the unrelated pieces were "tied-together" in order to make a semblance of an ending. It was interesting to read, if a bit slow, but the storyline didn't appear to go anywhere. 

The characters were all terribly people. I couldn't support a single one. Most were murderers or rude. Also, a common theme was incest, which I found off-putting. All the major characters engaged in a form of incest. Why it was important to the story/plot I'm not sure, but I probably would have rated this book higher if not for the constant discussions of incest!

Overall, I wouldn't recommend reading Song of Solomon. It was well written but didn't have a compelling story or characters. I didn't hate reading it, but I also didn't entirely enjoy it. This book was unremarkable and mostly unmemorable. If you do decide to read it, be aware that it does have a few adult themes.

Phrase:
Not Doctor Street

If You Liked This Book, You Would Also Like:
Their Eyes Are Watching God

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment