April 25, 2017

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard 4/5 stars

Hey, guys! This is definitely a bit of an obscure book. It is a play that is a sort-of spin on Hamlet that I read in my AP Literature class. I really enjoyed it, even if I wasn't really sure what was going on, most of the time anyway. 

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Rosencrantz and Guildenstern lying flat on their backs, presumably dead. B+ cover

Official Description:
Hamlet told from the worm's-eye view of two minor characters, bewildered Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Echoes of Waiting for Godot resound, reality and illusion mix, and where fate leads heroes to a tragic but inevitable end.

My Review:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is this weird mix of absurd comedy and existentialism set in the world of Hamlet. I thought it was hilarious most of the time, one of my favorite books I've read for English class all year.

I would recommend reading Hamlet first, however. In order to understand the general context for the play, you have to have some base knowledge of the story of Hamlet. The actual storyline is original, but the setting and a bit of the plot depend on Shakespeare's work.

The characters of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern seem kind of like a buddy comedy team. One is the lovable goof, the other a no-nonsense kind of guy. They work well together and lead to a light and funny tone throughout.

I liked the play, but I can't say that I understood it at all below surface level. There was a bit of a theme on existence, but beyond that, I didn't pick up on it. I'm sure I would have rated it 5 stars if the meaning behind the story was a little bit clearer.

Overall, I'd recommend Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, if you have some knowledge of Hamlet. It's a quick, funny, and just generically quirky read. 

Phrase:
Heads

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
The Importance of Being Earnest

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret


No comments:

Post a Comment