April 14, 2017

Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman 5/5 stars

Hey, guys! Recently I reread Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman for the third time. I originally read it the first two times in seventh grade, before I started posting so regularly on this blog. Now, as I am choosing what college to go to, it seemed relevant in a different way than it was in middle school, and I couldn't get it out of my head. I had to reread it... again!

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows someone with a ferris wheel spinning in their head, which sums up this book in a bizarre, abstract way. However, I'm not sure why the person's face is red. There's no demons or anything in this book, so it's a bit out of place. B+ cover

Official Description:
Sixteen-year-old Blake and his younger brother, Quinn, are exact opposites. Blake is the responsible member of the family. He constantly has to keep an eye on the fearless Quinn, whose thrill-seeking sometimes goes too far. But the stakes get higher when Blake has to chase Quinn into a bizarre phantom carnival that traps its customers forever.
In order to escape, Blake must survive seven deadly rides by dawn, each of which represents a deep, personal fear -- from a carousel of stampeding animals to a hall of mirrors that changes people into their deformed reflections. Blake ultimately has to face up to a horrible secret from his own past to save himself and his brother -- that is, if the carnival doesn't claim their souls first!


My Review:
Blake, a cautious kid on his route to an Ivy League school, constantly needs to save his reckless younger brother. This time Quinn ran off to a carnival which has sinister intents. It traps its customers and absorbs them into the carnival rides. That is, unless they manage to survive seven rides before dawn hits.

I love this book so much. It is exciting with more than seven adventures as Blake tries to find his way through the rides. It also has complex characters and relationships, which develop beautifully over time. There is also an element of mystery of what Blake's repressed memory is that scares him so much.

The plot moves super fast. Blake jumps from ride to ride, leaving you constantly on the edge of your seat. It's easy to root for Blake and anxiously follow his adventure. The characters are interesting in their own way. Even characters that have a very small role, like Blake's friend Maggie, are complex and have their own character traits (and flaws).

I read this book in middle school and loved it. It is written for that audience. Yet, when I read it again as a senior in high school, I found even more that I enjoyed in it. I understood little nods, since I am in the same spot in life as the main character. (For example, there is a brief mention to something looking like a Fightin' Irishmen, the mascot to a school I'm considering attending.) You won't miss anything, but Full Tilt definitely stands the test of time!

I cannot express to you how much I would recommend reading Full Tilt. It is a great book that has stuck with me for years, literally. With only 200 pages, it is a quick read that is definitely worth it!

Phrase:
School bus yellow

More Books By Neal Shusterman:
Challenger Deep
The Shadow Club
The Shadow Club Rising (sequel to The Shadow Club)
Speeding Bullet
The Dark Side of Nowhere
Unwholly (Unwind #2)
Undivided (Unwind #4)
The Schwa Was Here
Antsy Does Time (sequel to The Schwa Was Here)
Downsiders
Tesla's Attic
Edison's Alley (sequel to Tesla's Attic)

Scythe

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment