January 20, 2017

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman 5/5 stars

Hey, guys! Anyone who has been on this blog for very long knows how much I loved Neal Shusterman. I believe that this is my 30th book I've read by him, yet I am still impressed. Scythe is one of my favorite books that he has ever written, which is saying a lot. 

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows a Scythe in their traditional robes with a weapon in hand. The cover mostly fits the theme of the book and looks neat, if abstract. A- cover

Official Description:
Thou shalt kill.
A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.
Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.

My Review:
I love books that are different. I love books that are based on weird ideas that make you consider things in a new light. This book was definitely one of those books. The story alone was simple, yet amazingly complex with small details that catch your attention and make the whole world that much more believable. Basically, in a utopian world, someone has to be a killer. Yet the killers, the scythes, are more than just individuals. There is a complex system of knowledge and politics behind them. 

The characters in Scythe were very complex and likable. Citra and Rowan, the main characters, were well developed and likable enough. They also served as a nice point of contrast and offered two different point of views on the experience of training to be a sythe, which I found fascinating.

The plot was fast-moving and exciting, with frequent twists and turns. I read the entire book in about a day because I got so invested in its story.

The writing, as usual for Neal Shusterman books, was beautiful. It is the type of writing that makes you forget that you are reading and instead places you into the story. It makes you lose yourself.

Overall, I would recommend reading Scythe. It is an original story, with an interesting idea that is executed wonderfully. I can't wait to read book two in the Arc of a Scythe series!

Phrase:
Murder? Is that a group of crows?

More Books By Neal Shusterman:
Challenger Deep
The Shadow Club
The Shadow Club Rising (sequel to The Shadow Club)
Speeding Bullet
The Dark Side of Nowhere
Unwholly (Unwind #2)
Undivided (Unwind #4)
The Schwa Was Here
Antsy Does Time (sequel to The Schwa Was Here)
Downsiders
Tesla's Attic
Edison's Alley (sequel to Tesla's Attic)

If you're looking for a good book, check out my Suggestions Page!

Happy Reading!


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment