July 16, 2015

The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass 4/5 stars

Hey, guys!  I just finished The Heir by Kiera Cass.  It was the fourth book in The Selection series.  If you missed my first few review, click here for The Selection (#1), The Elites (#2), and The One (#3).
The Heir was a bit of a letdown compared to the last book in the series,  The One.  I probably could have prevented much of my disappointment if I had read some description or another before I began reading it.  Instead of being a continuation of the earlier story, like a book four would suggest, it took place at least twenty years later and centers around America's and Maxon's daughter's Selection.

I think it would have been a better decision to have The Heir be the first book in a sequeling series instead of just a continuation.

The Cover:
The Cover:
Again, there is not much to say.  We have our main character, Eadlyn, is a grey dress.  The mirrors reflect her is a wedding dress, which I think was a nice touch.  There is also a crown over the title.  I like this cover more than the previous books in the series.  A cover.

Official Description:
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.
But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

My Review:
My thoughts during this book mirrored The Selection.  I was a little offended by the idea and thought it was too predictable until I got invested in the plot.  These books are very character-driven, and after the switch to a new protagonist, I thought I wasn't going to be able to continue the series.  Eadlyn is a MUCH less relatable character than her mother.  I would read about America and think that she was awesome, which was the highlight of the series really; I would read about Eadlyn and want to punch her (she is bratty, spoiled, and quite a bit fake).  About halfway through the book, though, I started enjoying the book as the characters developed and the plot picked up.  That isn't to say that I grew to like Eadlyn or that it became less predicable (I think I could tell you without a bit of doubt who she will end up with).  
I didn't enjoy The Heir nearly as much as I enjoyed the previous three books, but it was still interesting and worth reading.  I look forward to the next book when it comes out.

Phrase:
Always need butter

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment