May 31, 2016

Helix (Helix #1) by Nathan M. Farrugia 4/5 stars

*Note: This book was given to me by the author in return for my honest review*

Hey, guys!  After reading The Chimera Vector (also by Nathan M. Farrugia), I was interested in his new series, Helix.  I enjoyed it, but it didn't knock my socks off.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Olesya with a gun.  It's a pretty simple cover that connects pretty well with the story, but something about it doesn't seem right to me.  It's alright, a B- cover.

Official Description:
Olesya has always been different.
To most, she was an ordinary girl from post-Soviet Russia. But to the covert agency that recruited her she was something much more. The agency is a collector of genetic anomalies; forging gifted children into their most deadly weapon: black operatives. 
Seven years later, Olesya leads a team of hunters on a dangerous assignment. Her targets are black operatives: elusive, genetically enhanced, and unstoppable. From the bio-clinics of Brazil to the icy borderlands of Kaliningrad, from the catacombs of Lithuania to the citadel of occupied Prague, Olesya is at the heart of a war against a powerful, malevolent organization that wants total control. 
But as operatives and hunters start to vanish, Olesya discovers they aren’t the only players in this deadly game … 

My Review:
Helix: Episode 1 was a fast read.  The plot was fast-moving, and it was a page-turner.  The book itself is only 142 pages so it goes by very quickly and leaves you wanting more.

The characters were likable.  I especially liked Olesya who was well-developed and a strong female character.  All the characters were likable enough, but considerably less developed than Olesya.  This may improve as the series goes on though!

My main problem with Helix was the switching point of view.  About half of the book was set six years ago from Olesya's point of view, but the other half starred Damien as he tried to stop a kidnapping.  These storylines were not very connected so it felt like two books mixed together rather than a single story.  I didn't like that formatting.

Overall, I wouldn't warn against this book, but I also wouldn't recommend it.  It was fine, and I'd look forward to reading the sequel, but there are books out there that will knock your socks off in a way that I don't think Helix: Episode 1 will.

Phrase:
plasticuffs

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
The Chimera Vector

Need other suggestions?  Check out my suggestions page!

No comments:

Post a Comment