June 29, 2016

The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh 5/5 stars

Hey, guys!  I finally had time to read the sequel to The Wrath & the Dawn.  Before I get around to raving about The Rose & the Dagger, I'm recommending that you go ahead and read the first book in the series.  It was seriously good.

Also, just as a warning, this series is a duology.  I'm not sure why, but I assumed it was a trilogy up until I was reading the epilogue.  It was a bit disorienting.  Just prepare yourselves for that.

The Cover:
The Cover:
It shows Shahrzad behind a screen of daggers/ roses.  It fits with The Wrath and the Dawn's cover, but I'm not a fan of the style.  A bit too busy for my taste.  B cover

Official Description:
The darker the sky, the brighter the stars.
In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad is forced from the arms of her beloved husband, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once thought Khalid a monster—a merciless killer of wives, responsible for immeasurable heartache and pain—but as she unraveled his secrets, she found instead an extraordinary man and a love she could not deny. Still, a curse threatens to keep Shazi and Khalid apart forever.
Now she’s reunited with her family, who have found refuge in the desert, where a deadly force is gathering against Khalid—a force set on destroying his empire and commanded by Shazi’s spurned childhood sweetheart. Trapped between loyalties to those she loves, the only thing Shazi can do is act. Using the burgeoning magic within her as a guide, she strikes out on her own to end both this terrible curse and the brewing war once and for all. But to do it, she must evade enemies of her own to stay alive.
The saga that began with The Wrath and the Dawn takes its final turn as Shahrzad risks everything to find her way back to her one true love again.
 



My Review:
I really enjoyed The Rose & the Dagger.  It picked up right where the first book stopped.  There was constant action.  The story constantly veered into unexpected storylines.  The theme of betrayal was very central to The Rose & the Dagger and was, therefore, always present whether in actual betrayal or in paranoia.  It added a neat layer to the book.

The characters were much more complex in this second installment.  Much more of the book was told from perspectives that were not related to Shahrzad, which I appreciated.  This allowed characters such as Khalid and Tariq to shine.  All of the characters were lovely, if misguided, so their perspectives added a refreshing more complete picture.

I loved this book.  It was the perfect ending to this series.  There was only one problem I had with The Rose & the Dagger.  The epilogue.  As many of you may know, I am generally opposed to epilogues.  In the case of this book, the epilogue was set at least five years after the events of the book and wrapped everything up a bit too tightly.  I agree with leaving no loose ends, but I felt like some of the epilogue felt a bit forced.  I personally would have been content without the epilogue, but for the most part, it had a very satisfying ending.

I would recommend this book as well as the first book.  It's an exciting book full of fire, magic, betrayal, and romance.  What's not to love?

Phrase:
Jahandar's book

Happy Reading!

If You Liked This Book, You May Also Like:
Red Queen / Glass Sword
The Young Elites / The Rose Society
The Knife of Never Letting Go


Need other suggestions?  Check out my suggestions page!

Follow my reviews:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookshelfSecret

No comments:

Post a Comment